Monday 11 January 2010

Jackdaw Miniatures

Well with the weather finally relenting a little I braved myself to start my seasons painting.
I should add that I paint in my garage cum wargames room,and it can be a tad cold,but what the heck.This year I am determined to complete my Seven Years war French and Austrian armies and at least make a start on my Hanoverians.
As usual I got a little sidetracked as my long suffering wife had very kindly bought me a French Garde regiment from the new Jackdaw Range[available from Old Glory UK]and two artillery pieces and respective crews.So I had to prepare some of them for painting.
The designer of the Jackdaw range also works for Tradition and has clearly been very strongly influenced by the Edward Suren style of figures.Willie figures are not to everyones taste,but I love them.
Anyway,the figures are big,but I would say pretty accurate,with a nice amount of detail.The infantry tend to have at least a seperate arm,sword and or bayonet.
I managed to lose three bayonets [how is it you never find the piece?]but put together my first company [6 figs].
The artillery piece is a very fine gun,with lots of detail over the barrel,the crew are in lifelike poses.I like the way Andy has included barrels,cannonballs and other bits and bobs.I would say they are as nice as the Willie range and a bit cheaper.
Andy [Copestake]has done really well to start this range,I already have one line batallion,and I am looking forward to the French Dragoons. If you like youre SYW figures,big and lively give them a try.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to discover your blog, from your posts on the OSW Group.
    If I may advance a suggestion: hopefully the IWG blog will grow and grow with time. Since it covers two quite different topics -SYW in 30mm and Napoleonics in 6mm- it will be handy in the future, for the newcomer discovering your blog as for the veteran visitor in search of a precise reference, to have the posts 'labelled' (e.g. "SYW" "Napoleonics"). It can be done a posteriori as part of the 'edit posts' utility, and is not too much of a chore if thre posts to be labelled are not too numerous. Labels are added in the lower horizontal window, below the major window for the text.
    I know, I'm a maniac of information retrieval...
    Best wishes,
    Jean-Louis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging good blog Robbie I can see I'll keep my eye on this. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you Robbie. Glad to see another Jacdaw fan. Are you putting all the bits together before painting them or painting them separately and then gluing them together? I'm asking because I'm doing the Gardes too and, having decided to assemble them first, am having a hell of a job to get the painting as neat as I would like necause of all the half-hidden bits. Great figures anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello !
    I have a question : Are these Jackdaw miniatures sculpted by David Wilson who is living near Nice in France ?
    Cordially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they are- Sorry only just seen the question the range is much bigger now. Napoleonic Swedes soon.

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating