Wednesday 6 October 2010

Moving Home.

As I have stated previously I have sold my home pending the completion of all legal matters,which has proved a problem in the past. I have had a couple of sleepless nights already realising the enormity of what my wife and I intend,ie. move home,find rented accomadation and then build a new home whilst pending retirement. No pressure there then.
 One of my worries is how do I pack and move ALL my terrain boards,all 70+. These boards have been built over the last 15 years and are all 2'x2' mdf. They are bulky and they are heavy. It also came as a shock just how much stuff you gather over the years when war gaming and collecting in general,and that's without what I have stored in a friends home,which is my war game magazine collection. I think like most war gamers I suffer from a hoarding illness,and hate throwing away anything, just in case........Heavens knows what the 'in case' actually is.
   In the past I have been quite ruthless about metal mountains,however I have been hoarding lots of RSM Hanoverian figures,just in case they stopped making them. I have also come across about 30 jars of paint,all in primary colours,just in case they stop making red,white and blue acrylic paint in the near future. Where does it end... Whilst contemplating the huge task of packing these things up, you start to think of the problems of next of kin,should I slip this mortal coil before I complete all my projects. Who would get rid of my stuff? Do they realise their true value? Who would actually care?
All answers on a postcard. Anyone got any cardboard boxes? 
My wife has always said war gamers were a strange breed,and I think she was maybe right.
[ She actually used much stronger words!]

4 comments:

  1. Fortunately I have moved for the last time . . . but having moved all my gaming material before, I share your pain, sir.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rbbie- Been there done that- my next move will be in a box..... Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, bin the terrain boards and buy a mat like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife also thinks gamers are a strange breed. But who's stranger the gamer or the person that marries them :)

    BTW, your tabletop battlefield above is awesome ! Is that your usual gaming table ?! [Green with envy]

    Great blog, I'll become a follower. Thanks for sharing,

    Sigmar
    my Gallery
    my WFB blog
    my 8th ed. Battle Reports

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating