Saturday 3 November 2012

A Project Never Finished.

Earlier last month, I decided to start a new army,using mainly Perry figures,to recreate my army of Cesare Borgia. In order to do this I thought I should shelve my SYW project and bring it to an end.
Well,that idea lasted about as long as my cat's attention span.
I actually started to miss painting the figures,and struggled to get a grip of my new renaissance figures.So in order to focus a bit, I started touching up a unit I had bought off e bay,of ready painted figures,that needed a makeover.
So I set too with half a regiment of RSM figures,Id luckily got cheap, and do you know I really enjoyed it,so much so that I also cracked off a unit of Romagnol infantry for my sister project.


 Not content with that,I had to re paint some command figures and add a couple of new ones. I probably have more commanders than the actual French SYW army, which had on its books, 900 Brigadier Generals! That is a fact by the way.




 I was lucky enough to finally hunt down and purchase The French Army in the Seven Years War by Lee Kennett.
  This is a fine little book, providing the reader with details of the French Army, and probably explaining why it did so badly in the war.
 Crippled with debts it couldn't deal with [ sounds familiar] and awash with too many Generals who had no role and spent their time intriguing against the Commanders, the army was lucky to actually function at all. Charles Grant had mentioned the book in the WARGAME, and I always wanted to read it.
Dont expect any uniform details, but a good book for any French SYW wargamer,who wants to understand the army they use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating