Monday 22 April 2013

Salute.... the conclusion.

I can only apologise for running into four! posts, giving my account of Salute.
 Salute is just so damn big, its like being given a glass of really fine wine and then having to swig it off. There is just too much to take in,  in the short time you are there.

 It was noticeable  that there was a wargamers 'drift about 1.30pm, which I found amazing, I dont think Salute is like any normal wargames show, but I suppose if you lived locally in London.............

 Well whats my overall view. Salute can only be described as like no other British show simply because of its size. Only a wargames club based in London could pull it off successfully, simply from the number of members you would need to run it. South London Warlords have been doing this show for a lot of years now and they are getting very good at it. I was very impressed with the organisation, and how they coped with the sheer number of people. They are obviously a very rich club, and there is nothing wrong with that, the club deserves to flourish.

Catering was fine, although bringing ones own sandwiches is probably better, just to save time queuing.
 The guide was good, although I struggled with the size of the text, but that's just a very minor quibble.
The bring and buy, like so many others was just mobbed, and I gave up on the morning even just trying to look. By early afternoon it was no problem. That's a problem at most big shows.

Do I have any criticisms. Well only very minor ones, and not really under the control of the SELWG group. The toilets were pretty bad, but hey ho, we are used to that.
 The personal hygiene of a lot of wargamers is really a worry, especially on a hot show day. Soap is cheap you know, get a bath.
 The sheer size of the show is clearly becoming a problem, as one attempts to take it all in.
In some ways it just shows how healthy the hobby is. There were lots of family groups which was great, and also a lot of teenagers, which is even better. I also noticed some very fine looking women circulating in the crowds giving out freebies, are you reading this Durham, and chance of Cheryl Cole?

My only real gripe was the painting competition.
Either make it a showcase event or scrap it. Make the prizes be for the first three competitors and push the importance of winning it a given.
Games Workshop have this as their big finale and winning is a prestigious thing.  Salute should go the same way.
 I would also publicise who the judges are, because I do wonder who does judge the event.
 I understand there were a few grumbles of the judging being a fix, after I had gone, but I cant really comment on that. So name the judges.
 Having now seen the standard of painting, I am glad I didnt embarrass myself by entering, plus my style of painting would now be viewed as old fashioned, but hey ho.

 The final test is, would I go again? Yes I would, but the logistics and cost would make it difficult.
 I would recommend that every wargamer goes at least once, and when they return to their groups, bring back some ideas to use at their respective shows.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rob
    Thanks for picking up the battle group overlord and mini rule set for me, looks like you had a pretty hectic day, some of them games on display look absolutely fantastic, think I might have to talk Catherine into using a couple of my free stays down London about this time next year......

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating