Sunday 13 December 2015

Wargamers collect stuff!

Normally looking back on the previous year, is a posting task for the New one, if you know what I mean.
 However I was trawling through one of my journals [read jotter] and saw the original list that I drew up for a Seven Years War French army. The date for starting the army was November 2007!
 So eight years on, well actually nearly nine, I still haven't finished the project, and I am still painting French regiments. To be fair to myself, I completed the original list a while ago, and carried on by collecting regiments from both the Austrian, Hessian and Hanoverian armies, and I have started painting Saxon units. Not forgetting my false start by straying into a Russian SYW army, which I duly sold on.
 So what is the point of this premature post. Well as one can see, Father Time is looking over my shoulder, and where once mortality was never a consideration in my wargaming world, it is something that I now feel I should factor into my planning.
 I should point out that from November 2007, I managed to paint up an Italian World war two army, and build big renaissance period armies, so I don't think I have been that tardy.
 I don't want to appear morose and depressed, but focus in wargaming has to be an important consideration, coupled to cost and usefulness as one gets older.
 So one of the things that I must do is organise my wargaming and consolidate my wargaming collections.
 Over the next few months, I am going to look to get rid of items and armies that I no longer use. This would probably be nothing startlingly new to most wargamers, but to me, it is a big deal.
 I collect like a magpie, books, magazines, figures, and armies and other ephemera. [ I love that word]
I remember many years ago, the great Donald Featherstone advertising that he was selling everything that he had collected over his wargaming life, including his research notes, and other probably not that important jottings. At the time I thought that was really sad, and it felt like he had given up on his hobby. Obviously he didnt, but I now realise why he did such a thing, and I also understand the reasoning behind it.     Wargamers collect stuff.
Stuff takes up space, and also allows wargamers to lose sight of what they are trying to achieve. Stuff, is bad as one gets older. Its also a terrible legacy to leave after one has slipped into wargaming Valhalla.
 I feel I would like to complete one more large wargaming project before I join the immortals, so things are going to have to go, this should allow me the cash and focus to complete one last big period. Anyway It all sounds momentous, but really what I am saying is that I intend to sell, give away, whatever I feel no longer has a use.  









    

15 comments:

  1. Robbie, I am beginning to feel the same, but it is really hard to make the leap and actually physically get rid of stuff. I have done it but there's lots more I could dispose of and not miss.

    So, I look forward to learning what your new project will be and what you decide to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Absolutely. Not quite as bad as those on that American TV programme on sky.............yet!

      Delete
  3. Robbie,
    Thought provoking read. Yeah think we suddenly realise that there really is a time limit to our time on this planet. As in all things it's balance, I've sold, given away, trashed absolutely loads and like you I've painted a lot. Most the gaps on the shelves have been filled with painted figures!
    What I've gradually come to realise this last year is that the periods etc I really enjoy are those that I really enjoyed when I first started,Napoleonic, 18 th century and Ancients. Maybe a smattering of ACW and I also enjoyed board games which for some reason I don't play that often. All the rest has been fluff, maybe enjoyable games but they don't hold my interest.
    Now it's far more important to me to have projects which I complete, I may add to them later but I really feel it's important these days to get things finished and not run around buying lots of bright shinys!
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its like a light coming on Graham. Like you Ive realised that I need to concentrate on only my favourite periods, ie Napoleonic, SYW, and Renaissance.

      Delete
  4. Robbie I can completely empathise with you. My issue is that once you start thinking about what should stay and what should go you also begin to rationalise why it should sty and thus nothing moves.
    I have an issue with an army of Franks in my collection. Not used since 2001 (my last game at the Cramlington Wargames club when I moved up there). It was the first proper army I collected. So for sentimental reasons it stays on my shelf. But even I recognise it should be sold on. Just can't bring myself to do it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pAUL,
      I have enormous Malburian armies in 6mm, all really well painted, lovingly based and sat doing nothing. My last game with them was over ten years ago. The trouble is knowing when to stop considering what you really need.In the past Ive sold stuff that I regretted soon afterwards.

      Delete
  5. Bravo - I have a loft full of "crap" (the current Mrs Steve the Wargamers description not mine) that I need to rationalise and cull...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sense some hostility here Steve. One could cull the present other half, but it could prove very expensive in time and money. Im lucky as my wife has always let me get on with wargaming, mind she did throw a 'hepper' when I poured clear resin onto our living room carpet, oh and the time I managed to cut through the worktop with a stanley knife, but apart from that....Oh and the time,

      Delete
  6. Robbie,If you are going to die,can I have your figures,thanks.
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      We're all going to die sometime. One consolation is that where I intend to go will not be inhabited by any cheeky Geordies. They will all be trapped in some red and white painted hell.
      My figures are already spoken for, by the way, they're going to the RSPCA.

      Delete
  7. Robbie,If you are going to die,can I have your figures,thanks.
    johnc(william)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robbie, dont be daft man, keep it all, you never know when you might need that Marlborough army

    i take your point and advice to focus better in wargaming terms, that ll be one of my new year resolutions ...

    Merry Xmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      If you have the wherewithal, they are yours.
      I also have a large WW2 Italian Army and a British Eighth army to move on.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating