Wednesday 31 August 2016

Something even more Different.

 I have now played three games of Glory Halleluia the new Black Powder supplement and have enjoyed all the games. Although I'm no expert on the American Civil War, I do have a bit of an idea about the period. I have found the rules really enjoyable with some nice detailed touches to complement the period. So between fighting a few games, walking the Gettysburg battleground and now re reading the Rebel series of books by Bernard Cornwell, I now view myself as an expert on the period.
 Well what I am is actually enjoying something a little bit different from my norm, so John kindly gave me a large bunch? of Foundry ACW rebels, and away I went. This is the first unit completed. My aim? Just paint up some units and see where it goes. I dont intend to pick historical brigades etc, but just pick out the units that I find either colourful or interesting. So expect Wheat's Zouaves amongst others.
 I must admit I have enjoyed painting these figures, they are a lovely set of castings, and now I have been given some good advice by Tony Runkee on how to paint butternut and rebels in general I hope to improve their look.


8 comments:

  1. Annoyingly Cornwall never finished off the 'Rebel' series of books - good page turning reads though , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      I was lucky enough to hear Bernard Cornwell speak last year, when asked about the series, he felt that due to the extensive research he would need, that he could never hope to finish the series, given his age. Still, the four books give some great atmoshere to the period.

      Delete
  2. Very nice and can't wait to get them under the guns of my Union artillery ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look very nice Robbie, always good to see a new project get underway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasnt meant to be a new project, but sometimes things dont go to plan.

      Delete
  4. Never saw the appeal of the ACW. One of those periods that I just don't "get". But I can always admire fine brush work and these are no exception. Not sure if reading cornwall makes someone an expert - if that was all it took I'm an expert in the Peninsular War, The American Revolution and the ACW (about which I know jack) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      I know what youre saying,but I am enjoying painting them.
      You do realise my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I said was an expert.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating