Sunday 30 October 2016

Fiasco, Sunday Oct 30th 2016

 Well, today was the Fiasco Wargames Show at the old Jimmy Saville Centre in Leeds, just opposite the Leeds Armories. I havent attended the show for several years, and wanted to see how things had progressed since the late Mr Saville was given the honour of naming the new centre, several fateful years ago. [They've changed the name by the way, naturally.]
  Please excuse the quality of my photographs, because the interior of the hall was decked out in black with pretty led lights twinkling to give an effect of a starlight night for some reason. So there was a problem with lighting overall.
 The show is a medium sized show, featuring about 30+ traders, and about 12 games of which four were what I class as traditional and in my eyes 'proper' wargames, ie lots of nicely painted figures based on a historical event. The remainder of the games featured the now customary small, quick games, usually involving well painted but usually fantasy based figures. Still each to their own, and they did seem well attended by the younger element, so fair do's for keeping them entertained.
 Anyway I digress. Personally I thought the show was fairly busy and had a decent buzz about the place whilst I was there. The two standout games were James Roach's SYW battle, which featured lovely painted figures, on very neat terrain. I have never seen James ever turn up at a show with an untidy game, I especially liked the way he recorded causalities, a pin with small beads added every time they received a causality. I know its been used before, but still a good way to record hits.


 The  company behind Frostgrave ran three small scenario based games with decent terrain that seemed very popular with younger gamers. It was a popular feature.

 I saw this little game being played by four young [ 13 ish] wargamers, yes it was basic, yes the figures weren't the best painted, but it was historical, and they were enjoying themselves so well done for getting into wargaming. Their figures were plastic1/72
 I tried to get some images of this WW2 wargame, and can only apologise for failing miserably, it was based in Holland I believe and was a nice looking game. Sorry also to Kallistra who staged a good looking game on their terrain which I failed to get photographs of, sorry again.


 Another skirmish game involving another new company with a new range of well sculptered figures and a 'new' set of rules, based in a mythological land, I think.

 The Legendary Wargamers put on a ACW game featuring the Connoisseur range of figures,, based and painted a la Peter Gilder. I know for a fact that the group actually have quite a number of the great mans painted regiments. My favourite game on show for so many reasons.
 John and I took a break from the show to amble across to the Armouries to see the Agincourt tableau created by the Perry twins. It was definitely worth the look, it is a beautiful looking set up with hundreds of figures. The Armouries has been totally revamped and has some great exhibits, and if you haven't been then go because to admire the Siborne tableau alone is worth the visit. So overall I enjoyed the show, what was not to like really, I did a spot of shopping,saw some wargamers I hadn't seen for a while, indulged in a bit of culture and came away a little bit more enthused.
The only downside was the lack of a Bring and Buy, a painting competition, cheaper parking and better signposting, but apart from that, give it a go.  




9 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie,

    Glad you enjoyed the show, I didn't get to do much wandering, talking to folk at our Jutland game all day. It's great to be able to pop over to the museum when you have had your fill of the show.

    Regards Ken
    The Yarkshire Gamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken,
      I somehow missed the Jutland game, and I really dont know how. I would have liked to take some images and give the game a mention. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. No worries Robbie glad you enjoyed the show, Jutland was the 18ft by 8 table on the right as you came in, easy to miss ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Robbie,

    Thank you for your kind words.

    I missed the show last year because I had to go to Barcelona instead (damn, life is hard) but, I thought this year's Fiasco was, very possibly, the best Fiasco I've attended in several years. There was a definite buzz about the place this year.

    Leeds club were very welcoming and helpful, so thanks to them too.

    Best Wishes,

    James

    James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      You always put on a beautiful game, and yesterdays was no exception, you should be very proud of your efforts.

      Delete
    2. Can I be pedantic and point out what James didn't. The beads on pins are unit quality and/or first fire; casualties are denoted by stones on discs behind the units.

      It was the best Fiasco for years though.

      Delete
    3. Well thats even more impressive then, as I use the trusty Kapock to show when my units have used first fire, it can look effective, but sometimes the stuff moves about.

      Delete
  3. That game with 1/72 plastics gladdened the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad,
      watching four young sprogs fight over a basic terrain with plastic figures was very heartening. I would have liked to offer them advice, but I think some old fart can be a boring experience, its better that they learn from their own experiences.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating