Sunday 27 November 2016

Battleground 26 November 2016.

          Colin puts some final touches to our game, prior to the general public coming in.

Well I'm safely back from Smoggyland, in one piece although a tad tired and bereft of cash funds.
Battleground for me personally is a very good show, in its former life it was also a great show, and I always viewed it as a signal that Winter had arrived.
   Leon of Pendraken fame has done a fine job taking on the responsibilities of hosting the show, and wargamers should recognise just how much effort he puts into making it such a success.
 And it is a success, with goodly numbers coming through the doors, even if they only want to spend a couple of hours buying some last minute wargame goodies.
 I don't know if it was as busy as last year, but it certainly seemed to have people walking around all day.

Our 'group' put on two games at the show, a 10mm Sudan game with John and Neil hosting that, and Wilson's Creek hosted by me and Colin. Both used terrain cloths, which I thought were very effective.

 I must confess that I wanted to fight an ACW game, purely so I could 'blood' my newly painted rebel regiments, so Battleground was a perfect excuse to get them on the table. The setup was made easier by basing the battle using the article that Paul Stevenson had written in Miniature Wargames 364 in 2013. That game was the first time that I had used Blackpowder rules, so seemed very apt, especially as Paul knows his stuff and had provided a very accurate account for us to use.
 Obviously since then I have become quite knowledgeable about BP, and with the release of their Glory Hallelujah supplement it was an interesting exercise to re visit the battle. I think as a display it looked about right, as a wargame I struggled against Colin's better Union troops and managed a losing draw. Shotgun armed militia are not too good to use. Also being caught in flank when in march column is never recommended, so I thought I did well to hang on. Newly painted regiments never fight well on their first outing, [second rule of wargaming]
 I can only apologise for not providing a detailed list of the clubs who put on a game, followed by a pile of images, but something had to give, between being at the table and shopping. I must admit I bought a lot of stuff, mainly Perry figures, although I managed to pick up two old Almark that I didn't have in my collection, one on the ACW and the second on the AWI. I also bought the first two Military Modelling annuals from the affable Graham Cummings, so I had a right wallow in nostalgia when I got home last night. Ah the smell of old [ish] books, wonderful. So how was the show, naturally I enjoyed the day, tiring yes, but its good to stop and talk to all and sundry about the game, wargaming and anything really. Make the trip next year, Battleground is readily accessible from the main A19, and is a very good day out.

                                      
           Never ever use march column within sight of the enemy, oops forgot that one.
                                             Because this is what happens if you do.


 Conrad Cairns of the Durham Wargames group always puts on a nice game, this was his 1866 battle, something I would have liked to get my fingers into.


 I would have loved a command in this lovely Malburian battle, I think it was Ramilles.


 The hardest working wargamer traders in the country [ well they said they were] Colonel Bill and trainee. Its funny but when I worked with the pair in a former life, salts couldn't work them.





Another battle I would have liked a crack at, Cannae, naturally.


16 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie,
    Was a cracking looking ACW game you and Colin put on yesterday! If it wasn't for the fact my lift needed to get home I would have stayed for the conclusion of both ACW and Sudan games!
    Well done mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Dennis, you will have realised that my dice throwing rarely improves.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see your ACW out and about, looks like a good show as well.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain,
      Leon puts an awful lot of effort into the event and clearly wants it to succeed, it is a very good show.

      Delete
  4. Many a great looking game. I, too, am drawn to your brief photo of the WSS game. Is that 10mm or 6mm? The Cannae photo looks to show the Romans about to be chewed by the jaws of the Carthaginians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathon,
      I think they were 10mm armies, and it was a very nice game.

      Delete
  5. It was a great game and a good show. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as well as an intelligent, dangerous and willey opponent......

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the post, glad to hear you enjoyed the day. The ACW game looked great, as did John/Neil's Sudan game as well. We'll see you next year hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie,
    Great looking game. Was surprised to learn that numbers were slightly down on last year as it felt busier for longer and I thought overall it was a great show this year. Looking forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham,
      I dont understand it, Leon put out a lot of media stuff and yet the numbers show a small reduction. I hope you did alright with your stand.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a good show. Regarding numbers - perhaps with so many shows so close together there are just not enough punters to go to all. whatever, it sounds like it was a well received event and the photos appear to show some really good games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Its a good show, numbers were down by a couple of dozen that's all.

      Delete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating