Monday 24 April 2017

Salute 2017, Part Two.

So my overall impression regarding Salute 2017 was that it was pretty busy all day. Obviously after about 13.00hrs things thin out, but it still remained full of wargamers wandering around with tired feet and full knapsacks.
 So onto the main reason I head South.The games.
 Salute has over the years built on a reputation of hosting both original display games and also top quality historical wargames that should inspire and reinvigorate the attender.
 Sadly this year followed what was happening last year, in that there were a lot fewer historically based games, and a lot more trade/ dinner table sized games.
 Just in case there is a flurry of indignant comments, can I say anyone who is prepared to host a game at any wargames show deserves a big thank you. Frankly traders and display games go hand in hand for me. However Salute is the biggest show in Europe, and frankly all the games should be inspirational on so many levels. I will elaborate on my views later.
 I just thought this year the historical games were in the main, just alright. My favourites were the games from the blogger, Dalauppror,who won the best game award and Simon Miller for his lovely Raphia game. I can only apologise again for the wonky images, my camera was a pain all day. [one always blames his tools]







 I liked this 6mm renaissance game, the figures and terrain were very neat and well executed.




 Dave Brown was hosting a 15mm Napoleonic game to showcase his new Grand Armee rules. There were some very well painted buildings on show, that added to the game.



  I was frantically looking for ACW games at Salute, simply to get some inspiration and steal a few ideas. I thought Gateshouse Gamers produced a nice game. I wanted to take a command, which is always a good indication that I like the game.




 I couldnt find out who staged this Command and Colours game, Battle of Raab, but it was very neat with some decent looking figures.


AD Hoc Games Group staged an interesting 54mm game to rescue the Tsar and his family from the murderous communists which I thought looked very effective, I suppose technically it was an historical game, it was nice though.It seemed to be well attended all day.



5 comments:

  1. That Renaissence game was actually a Great northern war battle - Klissow 1706.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Paul,
    You caught me out. Annoying really because I actually know a little about the battle. It still looked very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, unfortunately my camera dicks about sometimes, so sorry for any blurred images.

      Delete
  4. a good series of posts Robbie and your photos came out better than mine. I either missed some of the games or was uninspired by them.


    ** goldenslot mobile**
    ** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**

    ReplyDelete

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.

My 6mm Napoleonic set up.
Austria 1809.

Austrian Hussars

Austrian Hussars
Hinchliffe figures

Austrian Grenzer

Austrian Grenzer
Austrian Grenzer

Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2013
Smoggycon 2013

Smoggycon 2012

Smoggycon 2012
Smoggycon 2012

Smoogycon 2009

Smoogycon 2009
My French getting another beating